- May 30, 2018
- Posted by: platformspecialists
- Category: Financial Consolidation & Close
Rolling Twelve Month Data Made Easy with FCCS
In many organizations, viewing and presenting data on a Rolling Twelve-Month (R12) basis is an essential part of their analysis, as well as the reporting process.
For those that are used to working with Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) and have this requirement, you know that it can be cumbersome to fulfill this reporting objective.
Generally, when it comes to HFM, to achieve this output companies have a few options:
- Build the R12 schedules in Excel using data retrieved from HFM.
– This approach is manual, labor intensive, is not scalable, and is prone to errors or issues with Excel formulas.
- Use formulas in Financial Reporting Studio to write a pre-canned report that calculates the R12 data based on data it pulls in from HFM.
– While this is a bit more manageable when done in a report that users can run centrally, it still requires maintenance and is not a direct pull from the system.
- Write complex business rules that will calculate R12 directly in HFM. Often this is done by either creating specific scenarios, or creating an R12 account for each account that is needed in an R12 format.
– This, the best option of the three, allows users to pull R12 directly from the system. However, it requires complex business rules that may slow consolidation performance and may require maintenance for both the code and the metadata when new R12 requirements are needed.
With Oracle Financial Consolidations and Close Cloud (FCCS), we can leverage the power of Essbase to allow users to dynamically pull any data they need in an R12 format.
Seen below, we have created an R12 hierarchy in the application’s period dimension, with one member corresponding to each of the twelve months – JanR12 through DecR12.
Each of these members in the R12 hierarchy contain a formula that dynamically calculates the R12 data for that month by summing the appropriate months for the prior year, along with correct months from the current year.
Since this is set up in the period dimension, you see the results immediately, with no need to run any consolidations/calculations to generate the data. Further, this allows you to view data for any combination of accounts, entities, custom dimension members, etc. in an R12 format, giving you the flexibility to do the reporting and analysis you need.
Logic in the formulas allows you to retrieve data at either the Periodic or YTD view members and get the same result. This is useful for financial data (Sales), statistical data (Units), and even for R12 KPIs (Sales/Unit)!!!!
It doesn’t stop there, the same basic approach can be used to achieve Rolling Three-Month data, Rolling Thirteen-Month data, or even Twelve-Month Average data. The ways in which this can be leveraged to improve the reporting capabilities of your system are nearly endless!
Contact us today for a demo of FCCS and see how it can help to streamline your reporting processes.